Bottom Line: I decided to post some visualizations of my internet speeds over the last year with different providers.
I’ve changed internet providers a few times over the last year (I guess closer to a year and a half now), and I thought it might be interesting to post how my speeds have fared.
The data has been collected in a few different ways:
- This little wrapper script that takes a configurable number of runs of speedtest-cli, optionally drops the highest and lowest, and averages the remainder
- The Home Assistant Fast.com sensor
To get the few hundred kb of download data out of my several hundred mb Home Asisstant database, I shut down the hass server and ran the following:
$ sqlite3 -csv config/home-assistant_v2.db \ 'select state, created from states where entity_id is "sensor.fastcom_download"' \ > hass_speeds.csv
I think the best way to display the notebook is actually downloading the notebook as HTML and simply hosting that file as a separate page, so that’s what I’ve done.
Please see my results here: Notebook: My Internet Speeds for the Last Year.